Our Origins

Early in 1940 one of the members of St. John's Lutheran Church in LaCrosse, IN asked whether it would be possible to hold Lenten services in Knox to find out how many Lutheran living in or near Knox would be interested in establishing a Lutheran congregation. Knowing this had been the fervent desire and prayer of a number of people for some years, the matter was given thorough consideration by the Church Council and Voting Membership of the LaCrosse congregation. They granted their pastor permission to conduct such services in addition to his duties at LaCrosse and pledged their cooperation.

The first service was held on a Sunday evening. 105 were present with 16 in Sunday School. Another local church building was rented for the purpose of conducting services.

Our Pastors

Reverend Theodore C. Meibohm -- founding pastor -- 1940 -- 1946

Rev. Norman F. Berning -- first resident pastor 1946 -- 1979.

Rev. Joseph E. Townsend -- 1980 -- 1986.

Rev. Timothy P. Miller -- 1987 -- 2011

Rev. David L. Putz -- 2012 -- 2015

Rev. Eric R. Gawura -- 2018 (current pastor)

Our Buildings

In 1941 work on a church building was begun, and Our Redeemer's first church building was dedicated on April 26, 1942.

In July 1946 the Reverend Norman Berning was installed as the first resident pastor of the congregation.

In 1958 the congregation purchased land situated on US-35 in Knox for a future building. In December 1971 the congregation voted to build a new church building. The "old" building was sold to the American Legion (and remains the Knox American Legion Hall to this day).

The current church building was dedicated on March 11, 1973.

In 2005 a large addition was added to the Church, more than doubling its size. Youth room, classrooms, storage rooms, and a large Family Life Center constituted the new addition.

Our Little Lambs Preschool

In November 1983 Pastor Joseph Townsend presented a plan to start a Preschool for 3-4 year olds.

Little Lambs Preschool opened on February 5, 1985 with 11 students. Debbie Townsend engaged as teacher.

In September of 1986 our current Preschool Director, Mrs. Karen Zimmerman, assumed the directorship of Little Lambs.

Congregational Growth and Life

Through over 75 years of ministry to the greater Knox area Our Redeemer has experienced growth -- in both number of worshipers and members, and in ministry activity. As a mission plant itself, the congregation has carried on that missional spirit by actively reaching out to the community with the Gospel in creative ways. Children's choirs, a teen praise band, VBS with a 21 foot cardboard Jesus (1988), enlargement of our Little Lambs Preschool, the formation of a Summer Sunday morning Worship Service at the Melody Drive-In Theater, Outreach booths at 4-H Fairs, award-winning local parade floats, financial support of foreign missionaries, hosting various seminars and speakers centered on evangelism and mission work, a large number of current Bible study groups, an active youth ministry; these are all examples of the congregations activities, born out of its spirit of warmth, generosity, and dedication to the Lord Jesus Christ. We look forward to many more years of joy-filled ministry together, as we carry out our mission of "connecting people to Christ for eternity!"